Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Cleanse: Day One, lunchtime

Let me just come out and say it: I'm doing a juicing cleanse. I know that it might sound a little silly and new-agey, but its nothing I've ever done before and was curious about how it might feel. After several conversations and some research, I found the "Total Body Stress Cleanse."

Right. So, the whole point is that I throw all kinds of fruits and veggies in a juicer and live on that for three days. There are different combinations, of course. This morning, I had a glass of water with one lemon's worth of juice and two tablespoons of maple syrup, a glass of juice with parsley, carrots, an apple, and 1/2 a beet, (yep. I drank that) and glass of carrot juice with a teaspoon of wheatgrass (that was absolutely dreadful. I will NOT be consuming more wheatgrass during this cleanse).

I can tell you that it hasn't been bad so far. But now it's 12:30, lunchtime, which means that I'm about to have a "Salad in a Glass." It's celery, tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper, lemon, parsley, and chives. I'm looking at it right now, and I'm telling you that there is a vaguely pee-colored liquid at the bottom and reddish-orange sediment floating on the top. I'm horrified. How am I, dear reader, possibly going to get that down my gullet? I'm kind of for the "rip the band-aid off fast" philosophy of action, so I'm going to take care of my "lunch" and then let you know what I thought.

* * *

It's 12:36. That was pretty awful. It tasted like... like salty tomatoey lemony water. Not friendly at all. I made the juice about an hour and a half ago and put it in the fridge, which was a smart idea because if it was warm, I might have gagged. Luckily, it wasn't a massive glass and after half a glass of water, there is only a vague aftertaste in the back of my mouth. Perhaps that is the taste of health.

Honestly, even as I type, it's like I don't really want to be talking about it. It's wierd how a morning's worth of fruit and vegetable juice has completely taken over my thoughts. All I can think about is how I can't wait until 2:30 when I can have a big mug of green tea (yes, it's part of the plan). Dinner tonight? "Potassium Broth." That would be exactly what it sounds like--broth from a bunch of veggies boiled together.

Yeah, there will be more updates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home