Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Yeah, yeah, I know... 2007.

If you read my previous post, you already know that I was at a friend's house for New Year's Eve. As soon as the clock struck midnight and we all bleated out our varying forms of "Whoopee," I took off. Listen. I didn't want to stay up late, okay? I know it's a little loserish, considering the fact that I didn't have to work the next day or anything, but I get behind on my sleep schedule and... oh, forget it. Suffice it to say, I went home and hopped into bed just after midnight.

As I was laying there, I had the sudden realization that it was now 2007. If you're a loyal reader, you also know that I made a deal with myself last July that I was going to avoid men like the plague until 2007. Six months of alone time. Self-inflicted solitary confinement. To be honest, the six months have not been without their small dramas. It wouldn't be me if there wasn't someone, however fleeting or lame, that I am pondering. But I didn't NOT get into a relationship, and I'm damn proud of that.

But now it's 2007, and suddenly I feel like the call is not just "Game on!!" but also, "...and hurry the hell up!!" As I was lying in bed that night, a slow horror washed over me. The search is now back on, and I am not entirely thrilled about it. My mom and I decided yesterday that The Guy is, indeed, somewhere in the area, it's just a matter of finding him. This makes me feel panicky as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm a chronic people-watcher in general, but suddenly I'm looking around suspiciously, like The Guy might jump out from behind a wall and kill me, like he could be anywhere, like he's a stalker.

I know this is contrary to any logic. I also know that, as they say, love comes when you're not looking for it (which is why I am refusing to join any of those ridiculous dating websites), so the fact that I am actually feeling paranoid about finding The Guy and getting into yet another relationship is a sign that, despite it being 2007, I am not ready for it all. There's more work to be done, both at my job and on myself. There's more to be learned about getting along in relationships; how the hell do people actually do it?? And I am in desperate need of a haircut. I'm not ready!!!

On the other hand, it IS 2007, and I am a romantic at heart, so... maybe I could do a date or two to start things off. Maybe.

Yeah, this is totally to be continued.

2 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger J. said...

I think there's a fine distinction needed: love comes when you're not desperate for it (which you're not). There's no harm in admitting that you'd like someone awesome in your life.

I have to advocate for the online thing... that's how I met my beloved Zach--the best man and relationship of my life. We were both out "looking" for love, and we found it!

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

Awww, you and the Zach are too cute. I actually tried online dating when I was in the Forks, and it was an awful experience... perhaps that was my fault, though, for not being selective enough. Anyway, I decided that I was going to wait until summer to give that another try. I would indeed like someone awesome in my life, and I know he's around here, somewhere...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home