Sunday, February 19, 2006

Fun? Who said you were paying for fun?

I recently received a paper from a student about the reasons why his cell phone is important, including keeping in touch with people and having the ability to call for help should he end up in a snowbank out on Rural Route 9. The final reason, and the reason for this post, was this: he liked to be able to play games on it or text message, especially if he was someplace where he had some spare time, like in a waiting room or a boring class.

If you've ever been in school, you recognize that boring classes, boring teachers, boring subjects, boring books, and boring classmates exist, and sometimes simultaneously. Before the advance in technology that allowed for portable phones, perhaps you did things while bored like (hand) write notes to friends (on paper, with a writing implement like a pen or (perhaps mechanical!!) pencil), zone out, or sleep, especially in an auditorium class. I recall being bored in some classes. I also recall, especially in college, taking notes. The paradox was this: the less interesting the class was, the more thorough notes I took. I had to in order to stay on point.

Does this make me sound like a Major Nerd? My transcripts could probably offer more evidence on that issue, but that's not the point.

Now, not too many years after I myself was a student, the roles have reversed and I'm up in front of the class. What this student's paper said to me was that students need to have fun in order to learn.

I realize that this is not earth-shattering. I'm sure many studies on educational practices have confirmed Having Fun=More Learning. We are a society that likes to have fun. We dislike being bored. But if a student isn't having fun, it seems to automatically mean that they aren't going to try harder to learn; instead, they just give up.

We are a restless society, one that perpetually strives for More and Better. For teachers, this ups the ante on our delivery of the same messages that have been delivered to students since the advent of the modern school system. I teach comma usage in class, but instead of lecturing on it and requiring demonstration of knowledge via quiz, we play a game for a prize (points), and they need to use commas correctly in their papers thereafter.

I don't think that either way is "right" or "better." I think my students like my way better, because it's probably as fun someone can have learning that a comma has to come before a coordinating conjunction when it separates out two complete sentences. My question, and the point, is, WHY?

Perhaps I am lamenting the loss of learning for learning's sake, students going to class, dutifully taking notes, and studying outside of class because that's just what students do. Why do I feel the pull to be entertaining in my delivery? Is it because I know that students will shut down if bored, and I care about them learning the material? Is it because I personally enjoy teaching in a "fun" manner? Or is it because students put on teachers the expectation to make it fun or they will deliver the ultimate in irritating punishment, not paying attention?

And, most importantly, why are students bored, anyway?

These are large questions, and I realize that I've dissolved into a lament that is unproductive. The issue remains, though, about what currently constitutes "good" teaching. It's no longer enough to be able to deliver information; as teachers, especially college teachers, we should know that students pay for the classroom experience and the direction the instructor provides. Another large, frequently unspoken undercurrent that is present, however, is the expectation of entertainment, which cannot be underestimated if we are to provide a complete experience for our students.

Like it or not.

3 Comments:

At 9:29 PM, Blogger D. Bjorn--Ursus Maritimus Solutum said...

Yeah. I hear ya. And when I'm more awake tomorrow, I'm going to comment more. But, I'm getting ready to ban them damn phones in my classes -- something I believe we've discussed before.

And I love commas!

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger J. said...

Great post! I agree that fun = better, but I, too, lament learning for leaning's sake. English is fun all on its own!! This semester, I literally told my students to take notes in class, and they are. What a surprise that they needed to be told? But that's the difference between my nerdy approach to school and their, well... more laid back.. approach. -Jill

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Amy Dusek said...

Anything that involves candy was always good in college.

Really good post...many contemplative thoughts. I think one reason kids(and adults) are bored with the norm is from the effects of a fast-paced, media driven society. Barely anyone has an attention span these days.

I believe good teaching is caring to make a difference in your students' lives and if you make that difference in at least one student, you're doing your part. A student has to care to learn just as much as a teacher cares to teach. It goes both ways. Some students could care less about learning regardless of how the subject is taught...and a teacher has no control over that.

Remember the "greats"...Martha Vetter, Mr. Johnson, "S"...they all had different teaching styles, but I think the common thread was that they all cared about making a difference in their students' lives.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home